It Matters Revitalization Community Engagement The Artwork
Slide Image
previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 next

Shoe Cobbling Class, November 1912-April 1913

Local women founded Dennison House, Dorchester House and Little House in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s to serve immigrants and the poor. Still active today, these centers initially provided vocational training, kindergartens, baby clinics, community gardens and outings for youth and adults adapting to America. In 1948, Little House moved from South Boston to East Cottage Street expanding its programs to include services for health, mental health, seniors and day care. These important community centers continue to serve Dorchester residents today.

Image Courtesy of the University Archives & Special Collections Department, Joseph P. Healey Library, University of Massachusetts Boston: Dorchester House Multi-Service Center Records: 1909-1983